Just looking at

http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/work/current/2.6/2.6.15-rc1/patches/uml-reuse-i386-cpu-optim-fix.patch

And noticed it was barfed in your importing - you lost some piece from it. I
was moving "source "arch/i386/Kconfig.cpu"" to arch/um/Kconfig.i386, not
removing it. Look at current Linus tree.

Once you get that fixed, you should also remove l1-shift just below - the bug
you see is due to the mismerge.

Also the patch makes sure uml avoids cmpxchg on i386, as it should.
--
Inform me of my mistakes, so I can keep imitating Homer Simpson's "Doh!".
Paolo Giarrusso, aka Blaisorblade (Skype ID "PaoloGiarrusso", ICQ 215621894)