On Mon, May 15, 2006 5:44 am, Jeff Dike said:
> On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 10:08:06PM +0200, Mattia Dongili wrote:
>> > kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
>> > EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
>> > VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly.
>> > mapping mmap stub failed, errno = 12
>> > Kernel panic - not syncing: start_userspace : expected SIGSTOP, got
>> status = 256
>
> Hummmm, is this a 2G/2G host, by any chance?

It doesn't seem so:
CONFIG_VMSPLIT_3G_OPT=y
(from debian kernel's 2.6.16-k7 binaries)

> The French report is complaining about this happening after a host
> kernel upgrade, and I would assume that this wouldn't spring a 2G/2G
> split on you without asking.
>
> UML is trying to map a page at the top of its address space (which it
> assumes to be 0xc0000000 unless you are running a 2.6.16-rc4 UML and

did you mean .17-rc4? Debian kernels contain very little modifications,
and usually track upstream very closely.

> enabled host 2G/2G support).  We need to figure out why that doesn't

Oh, I found
CONFIG_PAGE_OFFSET=0xB0000000

may this be the problem? I found reports telling it broke other SW:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2006/04/msg00042.html

--
mattia
:wq!