If you want to do range queries on the keys, you can use OPP to do this:
(example using UTF-8 lexicographic keys, with bursts split across rows
according to row size limits)

Events: {
 "20100601.05.30.003": {
    "20100601.05.30.003": <value>
    "20100601.05.30.007": <value>
 }
}

With a future version of Cassandra, you may be able to use the same
basic datatype for both key and column name, as keys will be binary
like the rest, I believe.

I'm not aware of specific performance improvements when using OPP
range queries on keys vs iterating over known keys. I suspect (hope)
that round-tripping to the server should be reduced, which may be
significant. Does anybody have decent benchmarks that tell the
difference?