You want your memtables "as large as is reasonable, but not too
large."  Sounds like yours are too large.  As a first step, I would
strongly recommend upgrading to 0.6.8 and reducing the compaction
priority: http://www.riptano.com/blog/cassandra-annotated-changelog-063

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra