On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 7:37 PM, aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>wrote:

> There is some additional memory usage in the JVM beyond that Heap size, in
> the permanent generation. 900mb sounds like too much for that, but you can
> check by connecting with JConsole and looking at the memory tab. You can
> also check the heap size there to see that it's under the value you've set.

Thanks for the tip!

>From JConsole:
Heap memory usage: Current 46M; Max 902M
Non-Heap memory usage: Current 34M; Max 200MB

Both of these seem reasonable and don't reach the (current) 2.1 GB resident
usage I am seeing.

Check you are using standard disk access (in conf/cassandra.yaml) rather
> than memory mapped access. However the memory mapped memory is reported as
> virtual memory, not resident. So I'm just mentioning it to be complete.

At the moment, it's set to "auto", but it's a 64-bit machine, so I believe
it's using memory mapped.  The virtual memory usage says that it is 54.6 GB.

If you think you've configured things correctly and the JVM is not behaving
> (which is unlikely) please include some information on the JVM and OS
> versions and some hard numbers about what the process is using.

Debian 6.0 using openjdk-6-jre-lib-6b18-1.8.3-2+squeeze1

Thanks for your help.

Casey