Any thoughts on building something like separate DatabaseMetadata api for CQL?

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Lin [mailto:wool...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2011 5:28 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Cassandra Vs. Oracle Coherence

That's completely wrong.

TimesTen and Coherence are 2 separate products sold by Oracle.
Coherence is a data grid that takes a key/value approach. It is massively
scalable across LAN and WAN.

In terms of comparing Cassandra and Coherence, I wouldn't. Coherence is a data
grid and most often used as a fault tolerant distributed cache, though it does
a lot more than that. Oracle bought Tangosol a few years back.

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 4:23 AM, Jeffrey Kesselman <jef...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I believe coherence is their name for the TimesTen technology they bought.
>
> TT is an in memory SQL database that can  run as a cache for Oracle.
>
> Its totally different from Cassandra.   On the one hand it supports
> trad SQL whereas Cassandra does not.  On the other hand Cassandra is
> truly distributed and fault tolerant, whereas TT is not.
>
> I suggest getting and reading the Oriely Cassandra book.
>
> JK
>
> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 10:44 PM, Karamel, Raghu
> <raghu_kara...@intuit.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> I am new to Cassandra and very excited with the technology. I am
>> evaluating it and trying to understand the difference between
>> Cassandra and Oracle Coherence. Precisely , looking for reasons why
>> would some select Cassandra over Oracle Coherence. Does anyone did the
>> exercise of comparing them?
>> Appreciate if you can share some information on that.
>>

>> Regrads
>>
>> -RK
>

> --
> It's always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.

________________________________

Write to us for a Free Gold Pass to the Cloud Computing Expo, NYC to attend a
live session by Head of Impetus Labs on ‘Secrets of Building a Cloud Vendor
Agnostic PetaByte Scale Real-time Secure Web Application on the Cloud ‘.

Looking to leverage the Cloud for your Big Data Strategy ? Attend Impetus
webinar on May 27 by registering at http://www.impetus.com/webinar?eventid=42 .

NOTE: This message may contain information that is confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected by law. The message is intended solely for
the named addressee. If received in error, please destroy and notify the
sender. Any use of this email is prohibited when received in error. Impetus
does not represent, warrant and/or guarantee, that the integrity of this
communication has been maintained nor that the communication is free of errors,
virus, interception or interference.