I am very pleased to announce the official release of Cassandra 0.8.0.

If you haven't been paying attention to this release, this is your last
chance, because by this time tomorrow all your friends are going to be
raving, and you don't want to look silly.

So why am I resorting to hyperbole?  Well, for one because this is the
release that debuts the Cassandra Query Language (CQL).  In one fell
swoop Cassandra has become more than NoSQL, it's MoSQL.

Cassandra also has distributed counters now.  With counters, you can
count stuff, and counting stuff rocks.

A kickass use-case for Cassandra is spanning data-centers for
fault-tolerance and locality, but doing so has always meant sending data
in the clear, or tunneling over a VPN.   New for 0.8.0, encryption of
intranode traffic.

If you're not motivated to go upgrade your clusters right now, you're
either not easily impressed, or you're very lazy.  If it's the latter,
would it help knowing that rolling upgrades between releases is now
supported?  Yeah.  You can upgrade your 0.7 cluster to 0.8 without
shutting it down.

You see what I mean?  Then go read the release notes[1] to learn about
the full range of awesomeness, then grab a copy[2] and become a
(fashionably )early adopter.

Drivers for CQL are available in Python[3], Java[3], and Node.js[4].

As usual, a Debian package is available from the project's APT
repository[5].

Enjoy!

[1]: http://goo.gl/CrJqJ (NEWS.txt)
[2]: http://cassandra.debian.org/download