Folks,

Simple question ... Assuming my current use case is the ability to log
lots of trivial and seemingly useless sports statistics ... I want a
user to be able to query / compare .... For example:

--> Show me all baseball players in cheektowaga and ontario,
california who have hit a grandslam on tuesdays where it was just a
leap year.

Each baseball player is represented by a single row in a CF:

player_uuid, fullname, hometown, game1, game2, game3, game4

Game's are UUID's that are a reference to another row in the same CF
that provides information about that game...

location, final score, date (unix timestamp or ISO format) , and
statitics which are represented as a new column timestamp:player_uuid

I can use PIG, as I understand, to run a query to generate specific
information about specific "things" and populate that data back into
Cassandra in another CF ... similar to the hypothetical search
above....as the information is structured already, i assume PIG is the
right tool for the job, but may not be ideal for a web application and
enabling ad-hoc queries ... it could take anywhere from 2-....?
seconds for that query to generate, populate, and return to the
user...?

On the other hand, I have started to read about Solr / Solandra /
Lucandra .... can this provide similar functionality or better ?  or
is it more geared towards full text search and indexing ...

I don't want to get into the habit of guessing what my potential users
want to search for ... trying to think of ways to offload this to
them.

--
Sasha Dolgy
sasha.do...@gmail.com