> How do you change the name of a cluster?  The FAQ instructions do not seem to
> work for me - are they still valid for 0.7.5?
> Is the backup / restore mechanism going to work, or is there a better/simpler
> to copy data from multi-node to single-node?

Bug fixed on 0.7.6
https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/cassandra-0.7.6-2/CHANGES.txt#L21

Also you should move to 0.7.6 to get the Gossip fix
https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/cassandra-0.7.6-2/CHANGES.txt#L6

When it comes to moving the data back to a single node I would:
- run repair
- snapshot prod node
- clear all data including the system KS data from the dev node
- copy the snapshot data for only your KS to the dev node into the correct
directory, e.g. data/<my-keyspace> .
- start the dev node
- add your KS, the node will now load the data

Ignoring the system data means the dev node can sort it's cluster name and
token out using the yaml file.

Even with 3 nodes and RF 3 it's impossible to ever say that one node has a
complete copy of the data. Running repair will make it more likely, but the
node could drop a mutation message during the repair or drop off gossip for few
seconds. If you really want to have *everything* from the prod cluster then
copy the data from all 3 nodes onto the dev node and compact it down.

Hope that helps.

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton