Thats the correct way to use remove token, it's there when the node you are
removing from the ring cannot be started
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Operations#Removing_nodes_entirely

Dead nodes popping up and an inconsistent view of the ring is a bit nasty.

You can *try* restarting the node which thing the missing node is up with using
the Dcassandra.load_ring_state=false JVM property. But you may have to take
more drastic action.
http://www.datastax.com/docs/0.8/troubleshooting/index#view-of-ring-differs-between-some-nodes

Cheers

Aaron Morton