Try the project wiki here http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/ArchitectureOverview
or the my own blog here
http://thelastpickle.com/2011/04/28/Forces-of-Write-and-Read/

There is also a list of articles on the wiki here
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/ArticlesAndPresentations

in short, writes got to the commit log first, then the memtable in memory,
which is later flushed to disk. A read is from potentially multiple sstables
and memtables.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer