Restarting the service will drop all the memmapped caches, cassandra caches are
saved / persistent and you can also use memcachd if you want.

Are you experiencing stop the world pauses? There are some things that can be
done to reduce the chance of them happening.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton