I don't think that's what I'm after here since the unwanted nodes were
originally assimilated into the cluster with the same initial_token values
as other nodes that were already in the cluster (that have, and still do
have, useful data).  I know this is an awkward situation so I'll try to
depict it in a simpler way:

Let's say I have a simplified version of our production cluster that looks
like this -

cass-1   token = A
cass-2   token = B
cass-3   token = C

Then I tried to create a second cluster that looks like this -

cass-analysis-1   token = A  (and contains same data as cass-1)
cass-analysis-2   token = B  (and contains same data as cass-2)
cass-analysis-3   token = C  (and contains same data as cass-3)

But after starting the second cluster, things got crossed up between the
clusters and here's what the original cluster now looks like -

cass-1   token = A   (has data and schema)
cass-2   token = B   (has data and schema)
cass-3   token = C   (had data and schema)
cass-analysis-1   token = A  (has *no* data and is not part of the ring, but
is trying to be included in cluster schema)

A simplified version of "describe cluster"  for the original cluster now
shows:

Cluster Information:
   Schema versions:
 SCHEMA-UUID-1: [cass-1, cass-2, cass-3]
SCHEMA-UUID-2: [cass-analysis-1]

But the simplified ring looks like this (has only 3 nodes instead of 4):

Host       Owns     Token
cass-1     33%       A
cass-2     33%       B
cass-3     33%       C

The original cluster is still working correctly but all live schema updates
are failing because of the inconsistent schema versions introduced by the
unwanted node.

>From my perspective, a simple fix seems to be for cassandra to exclude nodes
that aren't part of the ring from the schema consistency requirements.  Any
reason that wouldn't work?

And aside from a possible code patch, any recommendations as to how I can
best fix this given the current 8.4 release?