A use case that could use this (but isn't in my top requests) is usage
history for a given user.  I use a single row to save history per user,
each column is a user action with name a TimeUUID and value is a blob.  I
use the TimeUUID to sort the actions, but I don't really care about exact
time.  after the number of user actions exceeds a threshold, I want to
remove enough to bring the actions back below the threshold.  I could
model this as you say and remove chunks of actions by deleting a row, but
that is more cumbersome for the client.

The reason this isn't in my top requests is regardless if the client or
the server performs this sort of delete, the row must first be read.  By
having the server do it, a network hop is saved as well as implementing a
common usage pattern.