Thanks for your feedback Kolar.
Well to be honest I was thinking of using that connection in production,
not for a backup node.

My Cassandra deployment works just like an expensive file caching and
replication - I mean, all I use it for is to replicate some 5million files
of 2M each across few nodes and intensively read/write.
I used MySQL until around I had some 1.2Million entries, then sharding it
when numbers grow larger.
Not only the files themselves but I also need to attach some tags to each
file (see them as key=value) so I though of Haadop but in the end settle
for Cassandra because of better consistency, community support, no single
point of failure and some!

Thanks, Marco