I added a row with a single column to my 1.0.8 single-node cluster:

    RowKey: aaaaaaaa-aaaa-aaaa-aaaa-aaaaaaaaaaaa
    => (column=test, value=hi, timestamp=...)

I immediately deleted the row using both the CLI and CQL:

    del Foo[lexicaluuid('aaaaaaaa-aaaa-aaaa-aaaa-aaaaaaaaaaaa')];
delete from Foo using consistency all where KEY=aaaaaaaa-aaaa-aaaa-aaaa-aaaaaaaaaaaa

In either case, the column "test" is gone but the empty row key still remains, and the row count reflects the presence of this phantom row.

I've tried nodetool compact/repair/flush/cleanup/scrub/etc. and nothing removes the row key.

How do I get rid of it?

BTW, I saw this little tidbit in the describe output:

    Row cache size / save period in seconds / keys to save : 0.0/0/all

Does "all" here mean to keep the keys for empty rows? If so, how do I change that behavior?

    ColumnFamily: "Foo"
    "..."
      Key Validation Class: org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.UUIDType
Default column value validator: org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.UTF8Type
      Columns sorted by: org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.UTF8Type
      Row cache size / save period in seconds / keys to save : 0.0/0/all
Row Cache Provider: org.apache.cassandra.cache.ConcurrentLinkedHashCacheProvider
      Key cache size / save period in seconds: 200000.0/14400
      GC grace seconds: 864000000
      Compaction min/max thresholds: 4/32
      Read repair chance: 0.1
      Replicate on write: true
      Bloom Filter FP chance: default
      Built indexes: []
Compaction Strategy: org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.SizeTieredCompactionStrategy

Todd