> Yep, the readstage is backlogging consistently - but the thing I am trying
> to explain s why it is good sometimes in an environment that is pretty well
> controlled - other than being on ec2

So pending is constantly > 0? What are the clients? Is it batch jobs
or something similar where there is a feedback mechanism implicit in
that the higher latencies of the cluster are slowing down the clients,
thus reaching an equilibrium? Or are you just teetering on the edge,
dropping requests constantly?

Under typical live-traffic conditions, you never want to be running
with read stage pending backing up constantly. If on the other hand
these are batch jobs where throughput is the concern, it's not
relevant.

--
/ Peter Schuller (@scode, http://worldmodscode.wordpress.com)