If you want to modify a column family, just open the command line interface
(cassandra-cli), connect to a node (probably: "connect localhost/9160;").

When you have to create your first keyspace type: "create keyspace
MyKeyspace;"

For modifying an existing keyspace type: "use MyKeyspace;"

If you need more information you can just type "help;"

Good luck!