You are correct about the second random dynamic port. There is a
ticket open to fix that as well as some other jmx issues:

Regarding nodetool, it doesn't do anything special. Nodetool is often
used to connect to 'localhost' which generally does not have any
firewall rules at all so it usually works. It is still connecting to a
random second port though.