Using Cassandra as a queue is generally thought of as a bas idea, owing to the
high delete workload. Levelled compaction handles it better but it is still no
the best approach.

Depending on your needs consider running http://incubator.apache.org/kafka/

> could you share some details on this?  we're using hector and we see random
> timeout warns in the logs and not sure how to address them.
First determine if they are server side or client side timeouts. Then determine
what the query was.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer