I think you need another CF as index.

user_itemid -> timestamped column_name

Otherwise you can't guess what's the timestamp to use in the column name.

Anyway I would prefer storing the item-ids as column names in the main
column family and having a second CF for the order-by-date query only with
the pair timestamp_itemid. That way you can add later other query
strategies without messing with how you store the item information.

Maybe you can solve it with a secondary index by timestamp too.

Guille