Astyanax is a hector fork. You can see many of the hector' authors comments
still in the astyanax code. There is some nice stuff in there but (IMHO) I
do not see the fork as necessary. It has split up the community a bit, as
there are now 3 high level Java clients.

I would advice follow Josh's advice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPG4sK_glls . Go to reddit and select
whatever sexy technology is new and trending :)