By default Cassandra uses 1/3rd heap size for memtable storage. If you make
sure memtables smaller they should flush faster and you commit logs should
not grow large.

Large commit logs are not a problem, some use cases that write to some
Column Families more then other can make the commit log directory grow.
Basically the commit log does not get removed until everything in it is
flushed. We have a nagios alarm on ours, if it hits 8GB something is wrong,
but again large commit log is normal and I would not worry.

Edward