I think my impression that Bloom Filters were off in 1.1.9 was a
misinterpretation of this thread:

http://www.mail-archive.com/user@cassandra.apache.org/msg27787.html

and this bug:

I read it that Bloom filters were added to 1.2.2 for Bloomfilters, but
apparently after being shutoff in an earlier version of 1.2?

-Mike