Hello,

I am using Cassandra 1.2.2 on a 4 node test cluster with vnodes. I waited
for over a week to insert lots of data into the cluster. During the end of
the process one of the nodes had a hardware fault.

I have fixed the hardware fault but the filing system on that node is
corrupt so I'll have to reinstall the OS and cassandra.

I can think of two ways of reintegrating the host into the cluster

1) shrink the cluster to three nodes and add the node into the cluster

2) Add the node into the cluster without shrinking

I'm not sure of the best approach to take and I'm not sure how to achieve
each step.

Can anybody help?

--
Thanks