You are right, it looks like I am doing a lot of GC. Is there any
short-term solution for this other than bumping up the heap ? because, even
if I increase the heap I will run into the same issue. Only the time before
I hit OOM will be lengthened.

It will be while before we go to latest and greatest Cassandra.

Thanks !