I see an issues when I run high traffic to the Cassandra nodes, the heap
gets full to about 94% (which is expected) but the thing that confuses me
is that the heap usage never goes down after the traffic is stopped
(at-least, it appears to be so) . I kept the nodes up for a day after
stopping the traffic and the logs still tell me

"Heap is 0.9430032942657169 full.  You may need to reduce memtable and/or
cache sizes.  Cassandra will now flush up to the two largest memtables to
free up memory.  Adjust flush_largest_memtables_at threshold in
cassandra.yaml if you don't want Cassandra to do this automatically"

Things go back to normal when I restart Cassandra.

nodetool netstats tells me the following:

Mode: Normal
Not sending streams

and a bunch of keyspaces streaming from other nodes which are at 0% and
this stays this way until I restart Cassandra.

Also I see this at the bottom:

Pool Name                    Active   Pending      Completed
Commands                        n/a         0        8267930

Any ideas as to how I can speed up this up and reclaim the heap ?

Thanks !