I don't think you need to run repair if you decrease RF. At least I wouldn't do it.

In case of *decreasing* RF have 3 nodes containing some data, but only 2 of them should store them from now on, so you should rather run cleanup, instead of repair, toget rid of the data on 3rd replica. And I guess it should work (in terms of disk space and memory), if you've been able to perform compaction.

Repair makes sense if you *increase* RF, so the data are streamed to the new replicas.

M.