Odd that this discussion happens now as I'm also getting this error.  I get
a burst of error messages and then the system continues...with no apparent
ill effect.
I can't tell what the system was doing at the time....here is the stack.
 BTW Opscenter says I only have 4 or 5 SSTables in each of my 6 CFs.

ERROR [ReadStage:62384] 2013-07-14 18:04:26,062
AbstractCassandraDaemon.java (line 135) Exception in thread
Thread[ReadStage:62384,5,main]
java.io.IOError: java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/tmp_vol/cassandra/data/dev_a/portfoliodao/dev_a-portfoliodao-hf-166-Data.db
(Too many open files)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.io.util.CompressedSegmentedFile.getSegment(CompressedSegmentedFile.java:69)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.io.sstable.SSTableReader.getFileDataInput(SSTableReader.java:898)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.db.columniterator.SSTableNamesIterator.<init>(SSTableNamesIterator.java:63)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.db.filter.NamesQueryFilter.getSSTableColumnIterator(NamesQueryFilter.java:61)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.db.filter.QueryFilter.getSSTableColumnIterator(QueryFilter.java:79)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.db.CollationController.collectTimeOrderedData(CollationController.java:124)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.db.CollationController.getTopLevelColumns(CollationController.java:64)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.db.ColumnFamilyStore.getTopLevelColumns(ColumnFamilyStore.java:1345)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.db.ColumnFamilyStore.getColumnFamily(ColumnFamilyStore.java:1207)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.db.ColumnFamilyStore.getColumnFamily(ColumnFamilyStore.java:1142)
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.Table.getRow(Table.java:378)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.db.SliceByNamesReadCommand.getRow(SliceByNamesReadCommand.java:58)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.db.ReadVerbHandler.doVerb(ReadVerbHandler.java:51)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.net.MessageDeliveryTask.run(MessageDeliveryTask.java:59)
        at
        at
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/tmp_vol/cassandra/data/dev_a/portfoliodao/dev_a-portfoliodao-hf-166-Data.db
(Too many open files)
        at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(RandomAccessFile.java:216)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.io.util.RandomAccessReader.<init>(RandomAccessReader.java:67)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.io.compress.CompressedRandomAccessReader.<init>(CompressedRandomAccessReader.java:64)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.io.compress.CompressedRandomAccessReader.open(CompressedRandomAccessReader.java:46)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.io.compress.CompressedRandomAccessReader.open(CompressedRandomAccessReader.java:41)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.io.util.CompressedSegmentedFile.getSegment(CompressedSegmentedFile.java:63)
        ... 16 more