It's advised you do not use compact storage, as it's primarily for
backwards compatibility.

The first of these option is COMPACT STORAGE. This option is meanly
targeted towards backward compatibility with some table definition created
before CQL3. But it also provides a slightly more compact layout of data on
disk, though at the price of flexibility and extensibility, and for that
reason is not recommended unless for the backward compatibility reason.

--
Jon Haddad
http://www.rustyrazorblade.com