I'm not sure that this is entirely causal, but the error I was getting
occurred when the batch size I was accumulating was greater than 130K,
so by cutting the batch size down, I made the issue go away for now.
Having a such a large batch size is probably not such a good idea, but
I'm not really sure it that really the cause of this issue.