Thanks for the suggestions Aaron.

As a follow up, we ran a bunch of tests with different combinations of these
changes on a 2-node ring. The load was generated using cassandra-stress, run
with default values to write 30 million rows, and read them back.
However, for both writes and reads there was virtually no difference in the
latencies.

The different combinations attempted:

1.       Baseline test with none of the below changes.

2.       Grabbing the TLAB setting from 1.2

3.       Moving the commit logs too to the 7 disk RAID 0.

4.       Increasing the concurrent_read to 32, and concurrent_write to 64

5.       (3) + (4), i.e. moving commit logs to the RAID + increasing
concurrent_read and concurrent_write config to 32 and 64.

The write latencies were very similar, except them being ~3x worse for the
99.9th percentile and above for scenario (5) above.
The read latencies were also similar, with (3) and (5) being a little worse for
the 99.99th percentile.

Overall, not making any changes, i.e. (1) performed as well or slightly better
than any of the other changes.

Running cassandra-stress on both the old and new hardware without making any
config changes, the write performance was very similar, but the new hardware
did show ~10x improvement in the read for the 99.9th percentile and higher.
After thinking about this, the reason why we were not seeing any difference
with our test framework was perhaps the nature of the test where we write the
rows, and then do a bunch of reads to read the rows that were just written
immediately following. The data is read back from the memtables, and never from
the disk/sstables. Hence the new hardware's increased RAM and size of the disk
cache or higher number of disks never helps.

I'm still not very sure where the current *write* bottleneck is though. The new
hardware has 32 cores vs 8 cores of the old hardware. Moving the commit log
from a dedicated disk to a 7 RAID-0 disk system (where it would be shared by
other data though) didn't make a difference too. (unless the extra contention
on the RAID nullified the positive effects of the RAID).

Sample iostat data (captured every 10s) for the dedicated disk where commit
logs are written is below. Does this seem like a bottle neck? When the commit
logs are written the await/svctm ratio is high.

Device:         rrqm/s   wrqm/s   r/s   w/s    rMB/s    wMB/s avgrq-sz avgqu-sz
  await  svctm  %util

               0.00     8.09  0.04  8.85     0.00     0.07    15.74     0.00
0.12   0.03   0.02
               0.00   768.03  0.00  9.49     0.00     3.04   655.41     0.04
4.52   0.33   0.31

               0.00     8.10  0.04  8.85     0.00     0.07    15.75     0.00
0.12   0.03   0.02

               0.00   752.65  0.00 10.09     0.00     2.98   604.75     0.03
3.00   0.26   0.26

Another interesting thing is that the linux disk cache doesn't seem to be
growing in spite of a lot of free memory available. The total disk cache used
reported by 'free' is less than the size of the sstables written with over 100
GB unused RAM.
Even in production, where we have the older hardware running with 32 GB RAM for
a long time now, looking at 5 hosts in 1 DC, only 2.5 GB to 8 GB was used for
the disk cache. The Cassandra java process uses the 8 GB allocated to it, and
at least 10-15 GB on all the hosts is not used at all.

Thanks,
Arindam