On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 7:31 PM, Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 2:44 AM, Sylvain Lebresne <sylv...@datastax.com>wrote:
>
>> As Janne said, you could still have hint being written by other nodes if
>> the one storage node is dead, but you can use the system
>> property cassandra.maxHintTTL to 0 to disable hints.
>>

> If one uses a Token Aware client with RF=1, that would seem to preclude
> hinting even without disabling HH for the entire system; if the coordinator
> is always the single replica, why would it send a copy anywhere else?

Colin explicitly said that he would several nodes and I said I wasn't going
to judge, so I implicitly assumed there was a reason for having multiple
nodes.

If you're going to always ever hit one node, then using a token aware
client is over-complicating it. Just use a one node cluster and you'll have
nothing to worry about or to configure.

That being said, Colin, do be aware that as far as I can tell there is
indeed relatively little benefit to having a multi-node cluster on which
all data is on one node (in particular, there is no cache at the
coordinator level, so that even if your client hit other nodes, everything
will still be forwarded to the one node that stores it all, the other nodes
won't store anything really, not even in memory).

--
Sylvain