This is a generally good interpretation of the state of vnodes with respect
to Cassandra versions 1.2.12 and 1.2.13.

Adding a new datacenter to a 1.2.12 cluster at your scale should be fine. I
consider vnodes fit for production at almost any scale after 1.2.13, or 50
nodes or less (ballpark) for 1.2.12. For reference, I filed the main
tracking issue (CASSANDRA-6127).

-Tupshin