"one of the things I'd like to see happen is for Cassandra to support
queries with disjunction, exist, subqueries, joins and like. In theory CQL
could support these features in the future. Cassandra would need a new
query compiler and query planner. I don't see how the current design could
do these things without a significant redesign/enhancement. In a past life,
I implemented an inference rule engine, so I've spent over decade studying
and implementing query optimizers. All of these things can be done, it's
just a matter of people finding the time to do it."

I see what your saying. CQL started as a way to make slice easier but it is
not even a query language, retrofitting these things is going to be very
hard.