The problem was one of my nodes was in some kind of bad Hinted-Handoff
loop.  I looked at CASSANDRA-4740 which discusses this but to no solution
that I could see.

When I killed the server trying to do the hinted-handoffs the other nodes
stopped complaining...as soon as I restarted the node all the other nodes
went right back into the "dropping messages" state.

Help please.

Brian