The situation I am seeing is this:

To access my companies development environment I need to VPN.

I do some development on the application, and for some reason my VPN drops,
but I had established connections to my development cassandra server.

When I reconnect and check netstat I see the connections I had established
previously still there, and they never go away. I have had connections that
are held open from almost 7 days ago.

I ran 'netstat -tulpn' per the request of Nate McCall, and the receive and
send queues are 0.

I just did a test where I changed the code of my application to use thrift
(using the FluentCassandra driver). Start the application, kill my vpn
connection, reconnect. When I check the cassandra server, I still see the
thrift (9160) connection established, but it is eventually removed because
of keep alive.

If I change rpc_keepalive to false in cassandra.yaml and restart cassandra
then run the same test I outlined above using thrift the connection will
stay, like the native transport connections, until cassandra, or the box,
is restarted.

It seems the lack of keep alive support for native transport is the culprit.

Regards,

Eric Plowe