> We've learned that compaction strategy would be an important point cause
> we've ran into 'no space' trouble because of the 'sized tiered'  compaction
> strategy.
If you want to get the most out of the raw disk space LCS is the way to go,
remember it uses approximately twice the disk IO.

> From our experience changing any settings/schema during a large cluster is on
> line and has been running for some time is really really a pain.
Which parts in particular ?

Updating the schema or config ? OpsCentre has a rolling restart feature which
can be handy when chef / puppet is deploying the config changes. Schema /
gossip can take a little to propagate with high number of nodes.

On a modern version you should be able to run 2 to 3 TB per node, maybe higher.
The biggest concerns are going to be repair (the changes in 2.1 will help) and
bootstrapping. I’d recommend testing a smaller cluster, say 12 nodes, with a
high load per node 3TB.

cheers
Aaron

Aaron Morton