Hi Rob,

Thanks for your feedback.  I understand that use of ALLOW FILTERING is
not a best practice.  In this case, however, I am building a tool on
top of Cassandra that allows users to sometimes do things that are
less than optimal.  When they try to do expensive queries like this,
I'd rather provide a higher limit before timing out, but I can't seem
to change the behavior of Cassandra by tweaking any of the parameters
in the cassandra.yaml file or in the DataStax Java driver's Cluster
object.

FWIW these queries are also in batch jobs where we can tolerate the
extra latency.

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,
Clint