I have a 3 node Cassandra Cluster. Using DataStax Enetrprise v4.5.1 on VMWare.
I am adding 1 new node to this cluster for running Analytics workload.

So I cloned existing one of the Cassandra VMs, changed the hostname, restarted
VMs, then updated Cassandra.yaml file and restarted Cassandra.
172.17.3.1 - Cassandra Node
172.17.0.173 - Analytics Node, cloned from above node.

Now when this new node join the cluster, the existing node seem to disappear.
I thought it is the issue with tokens, so I moved the new node to a new token,
still the same problem.

In the log files I see:

INFO [HANDSHAKE-/172.17.3.1] 2014-08-08 11:59:18,847 OutboundTcpConnection.java
(line 386) Handshaking version with /172.17.3.1
INFO [GossipStage:1] 2014-08-08 11:59:19,094 Gossiper.java (line 910) Node
/172.17.3.1 is now part of the cluster
WARN [GossipStage:1] 2014-08-08 11:59:19,100 StorageService.java (line 1572)
Not updating host ID 3ce2cc13-7a3c-45cf-9a14-b29b0b7cfb4e for /172.17.3.1
because it's mine

When checked through nodetool on the new node, it shows only three nodes,
172.17.3.1 is not showing up.

# nodetool ring -h 172.17.0.173
Note: Ownership information does not include topology; for complete
information, specify a keyspace
Datacenter: Analytics
==========
Address       Rack        Status State   Load            Owns
Token
172.17.0.173  rack1       Up     Normal  15.65 GB        33.33%
28356863910078205288614550619314017621
Datacenter: Cassandra
==========
Address       Rack        Status State   Load            Owns
Token

141784319550391026443072753096570088106
172.17.3.2    rack1       Up     Normal  19.42 GB        33.33%
85070591730234615865843651857942052864
172.17.3.3    rack1       Up     Normal  18.77 GB        33.33%
141784319550391026443072753096570088106

When checked through nodetool on the old node, it shows only three nodes,
172.17.0.173 is not showing up.

# nodetool ring -h 172.17.3.1
Note: Ownership information does not include topology; for complete
information, specify a keyspace
Datacenter: Cassandra
==========
Address     Rack        Status State   Load            Owns                Token

141784319550391026443072753096570088106
172.17.3.1  rack1       Up     Normal  15.69 GB        33.33%
28356863910078205288614550619314017620
172.17.3.2  rack1       Up     Normal  19.43 GB        33.33%
85070591730234615865843651857942052864
172.17.3.3  rack1       Up     Normal  18.77 GB        33.33%
141784319550391026443072753096570088106

Thanks,
Rahul Gupta
DEKA Research & Development<http://www.dekaresearch.com/>
340 Commercial St  Manchester, NH  03101
P: 603.666.3908 extn. 6504 | C: 603.718.9676

This e-mail and the information, including any attachments, it contains are
intended to be a confidential communication only to the person or entity to
whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please
immediately notify the sender and destroy the original message.

This e-mail and the information, including any attachments it contains, are
intended to be a confidential communication only to the person or entity to
whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please
immediately notify the sender and destroy the original message.

Thank you.