On 8 Sep 2014, at 12:34 pm, Oleg Dulin <oleg.du...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Another idea I had was taking the ec2-snitch configuration and converting it
> into a Property file snitch. But I still don't understand how to perform this
> move since I need my newly created VPC instances to have public IPs --
> something I would like to avoid.

Off the top of my head something like this might work if you want a no downtime
approach:

Use the gossiping property file snitch in the VPC data centre.

Use a public elastic ip for each node.

Have the instances in the VPC join your existing cluster.

Decommission old cluster.

Change the advertised endpoint addresses afterwards to the private addresses
for nodes in the VPC using the following:
https://engineering.eventbrite.com/changing-the-ip-address-of-a-cassandra-node-with-auto_bootstrapfalse/

Once that is done, remove the elastic IPs from the instances.