Yep, the hinted handoff in 1.0.8 is abysmal at best. What is your
replication facter, i have had huge hints pile up, where i had to drop the
entire coloumn family and then run a repair. Either that or you can use the
JMX HintedHandoffManager and delete hints per endpoint. Also it maybe
worthwhile to investigate why you have hints pile up

Rahul