Hello all,

My work will be deploying a cassandra cluster next year. Due to internal
wrangling we can't seem to agree on the hardware. The software hasn't been
finished, but management are asking for a ballpark figure for the hardware
costs.

The problem is the IT team are saying the nodes need to have multiple
points of redundancy

e.g. dual power supplies, dual nics, SSD's configured in raid 10.

The software team is saying that due to cassandras resilient nature, due to
the way data is distributed and scalability that lots of cheap boes should
be used. So they have been taling about self build consumer grade boxes
with single nics, PSU's single SSDs etc.

Obviously the self build boxes will cost a fraction of the price, but each
box is not as resilient as the first option.

We don;t use any cloud technologies, so that's out of the question.

My question is what do people use in the real world in terms of node
resiliancy when running a cassandra cluster?

Write now the team is only thinking of hosting cassandra on the nodes. I'll
see if I can twist their arms and see the light with Apache Spark.

Obviously there are other tiers of servers, but they won't be running
cassandra.

Thanks

Jabbar Azam