With Cassandra you're going to want to model tables to meet the
requirements of your queries instead of like a relational database where
you build tables in 3NF then optimize after.

For your optimized select query, your table (with caveat, see below) could
start out as:

create table words (
  year int,
  frequency int,
  content text,
  primary key (year, frequency, content) );

You may want to maintain other tables as well for different types of select
statements.

Your UPDATE statement above won't work, you'll have to DELETE and INSERT,
since you can't change the value of a clustering column.  If you don't know
what your old frequency is ahead of time (to do the delete), you'll need to
keep another table mapping content,year -> frequency.

Now, the tricky part here is that the above model will limit the total
number of partitions you've got to the number of years you're working with,
and will not scale as the cluster increases in size.  Ideally you could
bucket frequencies.  If that feels like too much work (it's starting to for
me), this may be better suited to something like solr, elastic search, or
DSE (cassandra + solr).

Does that help?

Jon