One thing to keep in mind is the overhead of a batch goes up as the number
of servers increases.  Talking to 3 is going to have a much different
performance profile than talking to 20.  Keep in mind that the coordinator
is going to be talking to every server in the cluster with a big batch.
The amount of local writes will decrease as it owns a smaller portion of
the ring.  All you've done is add an extra network hop between your client
and where the data should actually be.  You also start to have an impact on
GC in a very negative way.

Your point is valid about topology changes, but that's a relatively rare
occurrence, and the driver is notified pretty quickly, so I wouldn't
optimize for that case.

Can you post your test code in a gist or something?  I can't really talk
about your benchmark without seeing it and you're basing your stance on the
premise that it is correct, which it may not be.