On 20 Dec 2014, at 09:46, Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 7:19 PM, Rajath Subramanyam <rajat...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> Thanks Ken. Any other use cases where counters are used apart from Rainbird ?
>
> Disqus use(d? s?) them behind an in-memory accumulator which batches and
> periodically flushes. This is the best way to use "old counters." "New
> counters" should be usable in more cases without something in front of them.

We at Thinglink also have been using the same strategy successfully: collect
stats in-memory, batch them periodically to a wide LCS cf.  Our stats are
somewhat bursty (=same event can occur several times per second), so doing
in-memory accumulation is useful to reduce write load.  We’ll re-benchmark once
we upgrade to 2.1, since the counter and CQL implementations have changed for
the better.

/Janne