On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Pranay Agarwal <agarwalpran...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I want to understand what is the best way to increase/change the replica
> factor of the cassandra cluster? My priority is consistency and probably I
> am tolerant about some down time of the cluster. Is it totally weird to try
> changing replica later or are there people doing it for production env in
> past?

The way you are doing it is fine, but risks false-negative reads.

Basically, if you ask the wrong node "does this key exist" before it is
repaired, you will get the answer "no" when in fact it does exist under the
RF=1 paradigm. Unfortunately the only way to avoid this case is to do all
reads with ConsistencyLevel.ALL until the whole cluster is repaired.

=Rob