Hi Neha,

As far as I'm aware, 4GB of RAM is a bit underpowered for Cassandra even if
there are no other processes on the same server (i.e. Tomcat and ActiveMQ).
There are some general guidelines at
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/CassandraHardware which should help you
out. You may not need all of the recommendations therein if you are simply
evaluating Cassandra with a test workload, but I suspect you will at least
need more RAM and a dedicated machine to get beyond the read timeouts.
Also, when using spinning disks, the 2 drive recommendation is important
because Cassandra uses two very different access patterns for its data
storage and the disk can be thrashed quite a bit, particularly if you end
up using enough memory that virtual memory on the host becomes a factor.

There's a lot of good information on both the Apache Cassandra site and on
Planet Cassandra about performance and tuning if you want to know more.

Hope that helps,
Steve