Thank you Rob. I tried a 12 GiB heap size, and still crashed out. There
are 1,617,289 files under OpsCenter/rollups60.

Once I downgraded Cassandra to 2.1.1 (apt-get install cassandra=2.1.1), I
was able to start up Cassandra OK with the default heap size formula.

Now my cluster is running multiple versions of Cassandra. I think I will
downgrade the rest to 2.1.1.

 ~ Paul Nickerson