Cassandra will by default snapshot your data directory on the following
events:

   - TRUNCATE and DROP schema events
   - when you run nodetool repair
   - when you run nodetool snapshot

Snapshots are just hardlinks to existing SSTables so the only disk space
they take up is for files that have since been compacted away. Disk space
for snapshots will be freed when the last link to the files are removed.
You can remove all snapshots in a cluster using nodetool clearsnapshot

Snapshots will fail if you are out of disk space (this is counterintuitive
to the above, but it is true), if you have not increased the number of
available file descriptors or if there are permissions issues.

Out of curiosity, how often are you running repair?

--

Ben Bromhead

Instaclustr | www.instaclustr.com | @instaclustr
<http://twitter.com/instaclustr> | (650) 284 9692